JIWE.....

CASH RULES......
captain
Region: Nationwide
Affiliation: C.P.A.D.

JIWE.....

Unread post by CASH RULES...... » June 28th, 2011, 9:45 pm

SAY WHAT YOU WANT BOUT THE MAN......GOOD OR BAD.......HE'S A MEDIA WHORE, HE'S CONTRADICTORY, HE BOUT HIS PAPER, HE CALIFIED WITH IT....HERE'S SOME INTERESTIN ARTICLES BOUT HIM.....THE FIRST ONE IS KINDA NEW...BUT IT'S RELATED TO THE ARTICLE ON THE BOTTOM OUTTA THE PAPER DOWN HERE IN ST. PETE.....

Open-heart surgery is one of the most serious operations in the medical field. Its life-threatening possibilities were not something my dad was willing to consider last week as my grandfather entered Saint Vincent’s Hospital in Worcester, Massachusetts.

Tough calls could have been inevitable for my father, as his own dad endured six long hours of surgery. Yet, we sat together in the family waiting area with as much hope and fortitude as we could muster, contemplating the obvious: Life often throws curve balls we can’t plan for fully. Sure, we can mentally attempt to prepare, but sometimes a tough call is just that: a tough call.

Written by Will Jones and co-authored by Bob Dixon, such a topic gets explored exponentially and in grave circumstances unlike many can comprehend in the book “A Tough Call.” Though its topic heavily encompasses street life, its words found a relationship within my own circumstance last week. Its central theme aims to show readers to appreciate life, and thankfully for both parties at hand, my grandfather and the author, the outcome is worth celebrating.

In the book, Jones narrates the days before he was shot at nearby Delaware State University by the hands of a neighboring gang. A football player from the south side of St. Petersburg, Florida, who earned a football scholarship, Jones gets accustomed to life on the streets as he witnesses firsthand the deadly South St. Petersburg riots in October of 1996. He recounts for readers the hardship of working to gain a better life and the thrill of chasing the dream to play in the NFL. His hopes ride on the team’s star receiver, Dashaun Morris, also known as “Machete,” who gains national attention from recruiters. Everything changes during an off campus incident, when Jones and some of his teammates answer the call to help a friend in the middle of a gang confrontation. There, words are exchanged and a gun is brought into the mix. On Machete’s orders, Jones is shot nine times and left for dead.

Six years later, Machete sheds his skin, his former nickname, embraces redemption and is out of prison with a book deal from a well-known publisher (“War of the Bloods in My Veins”; see encore Vol. 27, Pub. 29, June 15, 2011). Jones is still fighting for recovery; he must face more than the physical wounds that the bullets left behind. He’s angry, frustrated and continues battling inner demons that encircle revenge, all to find peace in life once more. Herein lies where “A Tough Call” shines. It is a true story of acceptance, inspiration and forgiveness, as one’s dreams are violently and senselessly stripped away

“Writing the book was like a roller coaster,” Jones says. “I had a lot of years of frustration, and so many things were on my mind while I was recovering. Writing my story was therapeutic more than anything I’ve experienced. I wrote 3,000 words a day and focused on being honest.”

Even through Jones’ commitment to remain forthright in his writing, a sense of hesitation still engulfs his words. While the names featured and the places mentioned are real and have not been changed, there are many areas where Jones holds back, both in feeling and perception. It’s a move he acknowledges whole-heartedly and explains its purpose.

“Some things are meant to be taken to the grave,” Jones says. “I don’t think I did the reader an injustice by keeping some things to myself. It’s just a decision I made as a writer. Others may not do the same with their life story, but I made the choice to do it.”

Motivational speaker, freelance artist, author and full-time dad of three, Jones says that no matter what walk of life one is from, everyone can take something away from his book. That something is the important, priceless reminder that life is short and throws hard decisions in every direction; still, it’s the choices we make that ultimately define our existence. Last year, Jones spoke at over 20 events; today he aims to bring his message of peace to North Carolina’s youth.

“When I went to speak for the first time, it became natural,” he explains. “I knew it’s what I wanted to continue to do. Getting shot hurts, burns and it’s not glamorous. Someone may not relate to the gang-banging part of my book or the street aspects, but there are other [relatable] aspects.”

At the end of the day, the reminder that no one is perfect becomes the mantra. “Anyone can be used,” Jones notes. “Anyone can make mistakes and anyone can forgive. In this life, on this Earth, every person has an experience. Wherever you’re at in your life, a negative place or a positive one, you have decisions to make. You will have tough calls. You can find freedom by letting go.”

Currently, working on a second book tentatively titled “A Final Call,” Jones has taken his traumatic experience as a call to influence others in hopes one less family will have to feel the effects of gang violence as his family has. Most inspirationally, this year Jones will celebrate his seventh anniversary of survival.

AND THIS IS THE ARTICLE THEY HAD IN THE PAPER BOUT IT AWHILE AGO......

ST. PETERSBURG — Sunday night, a week before Easter. Storm clouds roll over the Sunshine City and the rain comes in waves.

Will Jones picks up the phone.

He's been thinking about this call all day, all weekend. He's been thinking about it off and on, really, since June 1, 2004, the night nine bullets changed everything.

He's standing in slippers in the breezeway of his little apartment off Fourth Street as cars speed by and people come and go, oblivious.

If they knew what Will is about to do, they might stop.

If they knew that the 27-year-old still has bullets in his body, that he has $40,000 in medical bills, that he hasn't talked to the man who ordered him shot since that night, that he's about to do something brave and spectacular, they might stop their cars and walk over and lean in close enough to listen.

Life is built on choices and consequences, and Will learned early that we control half of that equation.

He learned it in church, where his mother sent him and his siblings every Sunday.

"That's the way I was brought up," said Darlene Seay, 43, a bus driver in Pinellas County. "I was a very stern mom."

He learned it on the football fields around St. Petersburg, where if a boy works hard, he gets faster and grows stronger. And in the seventh grade, when he brought home a D on his report card, and his mother wouldn't let him play football, because if you can learn the words to rap songs, you can learn science. He missed a game but caught a lesson.

He learned it at 5 a.m. workouts in the weight room at Delaware State University, where he went on a football scholarship, as coach Marshall Hayes preached the power of faith and belief to sweaty young men. Want a shot at the NFL? It starts here.

"He was an average player," Hayes said, "but I saw him really working out hard. He wanted to be good at football, and he didn't mind working hard to get there."

And he learned it on June 5, 2004, a few minutes past midnight. He was ready for bed when his buddies came in. A teammate was in trouble off campus and needed help.

Choices and consequences.

• • •

Back home in St. Petersburg, his mother answered the phone and screamed and booked her first-ever airplane ticket. She found Will in the hospital and talked to the detectives and pieced the story together.

Three football players had been walking to an off-campus apartment when they were surrounded by 15 to 20 people. They ran inside, then called their teammates.

Will chose to go along.

When they arrived, word spread that someone had a gun. The players ran. Will was trying to get away when two cars pulled up and people spilled out. He told the police they stomped him and hit him and one of them — a man called Machete — ordered the man with the gun to shoot.

• • •

Will spent weeks reading the Bible and watching reruns of Martin as doctors repaired his large intestine.

He was done with football, done with school. His medical bills were mounting.

He thought about revenge.

He dreamed, too, slow-motion replays of the shooting. Every night he felt the burn of bullets.

Until the dream changed.

It was three or four months later. Will is on his stomach, looking over his shoulder as a man in a gray hoodie raises his weapon. But this time he doesn't shoot.

He lowers the gun, climbs in his car and drives away.

• • •

Machete.

His real name is Dashaun Morris. He's a former standout wide receiver at Delaware State who had pro potential. He was Will's teammate. That night changed his life, too.

He hailed from Newark, N.J., and wore a tattoo across his shoulders that said BLOOD in Old English lettering.

He was charged with first-degree attempted murder and sentenced to six months on a reduced charge. He started writing in prison. In 2008, Scribner published his book, War of the Bloods In My Veins: A Street Soldier's March Toward Redemption. It won best memoir in the 2008 African-American Literary Awards.

Back in Newark, he started working with kids and encouraging rival gangs to get along.

He played a role in a documentary about rebuilding Newark, called Brick City, which won a 2009 Peabody Award.

Will didn't know about Morris' success until a few weeks ago. His friend had randomly bought Morris' book, read to the chapter about the shooting and realized he was reading about Will.

Will read the book and looked up Morris online and sent him an e-mail.

He needed to talk.

• • •

Will's friends and family couldn't understand.

"I ain't there yet," said Omonigho Imeokparia, a Gibbs High graduate who played with Will at Delaware State and was there the night he was shot.

"I'm not quite at that point," said Will's mother.

Will has a wife and two daughters. He works two jobs to afford their apartment and to chip away at his medical bills.

One of his jobs is as a coach and mentor for the parks and recreation department. He teaches kids in Childs Park ( :dance: C.P.A.D. B!TCHES )about making choices.

Sunday night, rain falling, storm clouds rolling, Will picks up the phone.

Morris says he has thought of Will often, that he couldn't contact him because of a court order. Will says that bullets burn, but it doesn't do anybody any good to hold on to the pain.

"I just want you to know that I don't have any animosity toward you," he tells Morris.

"I forgive you."

CASH RULES......
captain

Unread post by CASH RULES...... » June 28th, 2011, 9:49 pm

YEAH....HE PAINTIN A RWAL PRETTY PICTURE FOR THE MEDIA.... :smh:

CASH RULES......
captain

Unread post by CASH RULES...... » June 28th, 2011, 9:49 pm

CASH RULES...... wrote:YEAH....HE PAINTIN A PRETTY PICTURE FOR THE MEDIA.... :smh:

Face_Uno
sergeant
Region: North East

Unread post by Face_Uno » June 29th, 2011, 12:42 am

At the end of the day Jiwe one of the big homies n whatever he do ain't nobody really gonna challenge him.. :tiphat:

North To The Block
king
Region: South
Affiliation: THUMXXX's

Unread post by North To The Block » June 29th, 2011, 2:46 am

He was charged with first-degree attempted murder and sentenced to six months on a reduced charge
:wtf: did it get reduced too? lol. thats a hell of a difference of what he coulda been facing and what the time he did.

SOUTH SIDE SWERV
oog
Affiliation: NEUTRILLZ...

Unread post by SOUTH SIDE SWERV » June 29th, 2011, 7:39 pm

CASH, SO YOU THINK THIS IS ALL FOR THE MEDIA?...I DON'T QUITE UNDERSTAND THE BASIS OF THIS THREAD MAYBE YA SARCASM CONFUSED ME A LIL BIT...

INTERESTING READ THOUGH, & BRAVO TO THE HOMIE WILL FOR EXERCISING FORGIVENESS... :tiphat:

CASH RULES......
captain

Unread post by CASH RULES...... » June 29th, 2011, 7:48 pm

HOOD RAT HUGH HEFF wrote:CASH, SO YOU THINK THIS IS ALL FOR THE MEDIA?...I DON'T QUITE UNDERSTAND THE BASIS OF THIS THREAD MAYBE YA SARCASM CONFUSED ME A LIL BIT...

INTERESTING READ THOUGH, & BRAVO TO THE HOMIE WILL FOR EXERCISING FORGIVENESS... :tiphat:

I JUST THOUGHT IT WOULD BE AN INTERESTIN THREAD FOR ANYBODY THAT KNOWS OF HIM.....I EXPECTED ALOT OF BACKLASH FROM THE JIWE HATERS...ALWAYS SAYIN HE LOVES THE CAMERA....NOT SAYIN HE ISN'T KINDA CONTRADICTORY...LIKE IN THE SECOND ARTICLE IT SAID THAT HE WAS A "FORMER MEMBER".....EVERYBODY KNOW THAT'S FALSE.....THE 2ND ARTICLE IS FROM THE PAPER DOWN HERE WHERE DON'T TOO MANY PEOPLE KNOW OF JIWE....THOUGHT IT WAS IRONIC.....AT THE SAME TIME IT'S A NICE PIECE TOO

718 WAY OF LIFE
og
Affiliation: 79MSB

Unread post by 718 WAY OF LIFE » June 29th, 2011, 7:50 pm

READING ALL THE sh*t HE SAYS AND LISTENING TO ALL HIS INTERVIEWS WOULD MAKE YOU THINK HE SHOULDA BEEN STOP BANGIN A LOOOONG a$$ TIME AGO.

bear
underboss

Unread post by bear » June 29th, 2011, 8:06 pm

DAM NINE TIMES.. THAT WAS BIG OF HIM TO FORGIVE HIM.. WHEN IT RAIN THAT GOTTA BE PAINFUL :smh:

CASH RULES......
captain

Unread post by CASH RULES...... » June 29th, 2011, 9:59 pm

bear wrote:DAM NINE TIMES.. THAT WAS BIG OF HIM TO FORGIVE HIM.. WHEN IT RAIN THAT GOTTA BE PAINFUL
:smh:

YEAH 9 TIMES...HE A BETTER MAN THAN ME....