Ny : failing subway is in state of emergency

Quiet-Q
godfather

Ny : failing subway is in state of emergency

Post by Quiet-Q » July 1st, 2017, 7:14 pm

The city’s failing subway system is now a state of emergency
By Kirstan Conley, Jennifer Bain and Lia Eustachewich June 29, 2017

Gov. Cuomo announced a state of emergency Thursday morning, on top of earmarking an additional $1 billion to fix the beleaguered MTA system.

“The state has stepped up to the plate but it’s still not enough,” Cuomo said at the kickoff to the MTA’s Genius Transit Challenge at the Hammerstein Ballroom, an event billed as an “international competition” to find ways to repair and modernize the struggling transit system. “I’ve asked local government to contribute more, and thus far they haven’t.”

Stefan Jeremiah
Cuomo’s comment was a direct shot at Mayor de Blasio in their ongoing feud over who controls the troubled MTA.

Last week, the mayor put the blame for the subway problems squarely on Cuomo, who fired back saying the city should contribute more cash to the state’s capital and operating budgets.

Cuomo’s executive order calling for a state of emergency – which follows Tuesday’s A train derailment in Harlem that left dozens injured — cuts through red tape that makes it difficult for contractors to fix the problem, he said.

“It will no longer be a tortured exercise to do business with the MTA,” he said.

The $1 billion will be added to the MTA’s capital plan to help it make repairs to its aging infrastructure – which Cuomo likened to a “heart attack.”

“It happens all of a sudden and the temptation is to say, well something must have just caused it. This has been caused over decades, we understand that. But, the delays are maddening New Yorkers.”

The governor also threatened to heavily fine Con Edison, which is overseen by the state-run Public Service Commission, if the utility was found to blame for the ongoing problems.

“The power failures that have been going on, that have been sporadic and unpredictable, are becoming more and more frequent,” Cuomo said. “Right now, it’s a finger-pointing game between Con Edison and the MTA. When there’s a power outage, both say it’s the problem of the other.”

Meanwhile, Joe Lhota, who returned as the head of the MTA a week ago, promised a “top to bottom audit” over the next 30 days that will help bring the system into the 21st century.

Lhota has 30 days to come up with a reorganization program. A review of the capital plan, as well as an examination of train cars and physical equipment, is due in 60 days.

“I know what the subway system was, and it can be the crown jewel of New York,” Lhota said.

He added: “No idea is too crazy. No idea is too ambitious.”

Cuomo — who’s been on the receiving end of complaints from frustrated straphangers who’ve faced endless delays in recent weeks — also blasted the MTA’s antiquated communications system.

“They tweet nasty things about me all day, the riders — but we can’t figure out how to communicate with them,” the governor griped. “We need a system with WIFI connectivity in the subways and we need it fast.”

The MTA, PSC and Con Ed have 90 days to conduct a review to find out which agency is responsible for the recent service outages.

Quiet-Q
godfather

Re: Ny : failing subway is in state of emergency

Post by Quiet-Q » July 1st, 2017, 7:17 pm

& n*ggahs talking about raising the fare yet again :lol: ..they can eat a bag of dicks...n*ggahs better start investing in a whip (hooptie if any)..coughing up all that money only to get trapped on train in a hot a$$ tunnel with 100 other heads in the same car as you struggling for air..fuk that

G_Dope
sergeant

Post by G_Dope » July 1st, 2017, 8:36 pm

Quiet-Q wrote:& n*ggahs talking about raising the fare yet again :lol: ..they can eat a bag of dicks...n*ggahs better start investing in a whip (hooptie if any)..coughing up all that money only to get trapped on train in a hot a$$ tunnel with 100 other heads in the same car as you struggling for air..fuk that
for some reason people who have cars rather take train talking bout sum they cant find parking espcially in manhatten NY People think so backwards
I TALK MY sh*t BECAUSE I DOES MY THANGGG :smoke:

SuperSweet
superior

Post by SuperSweet » July 2nd, 2017, 1:28 pm

Who wants to pay $25 dollars for parking?

Quiet-Q
godfather

Post by Quiet-Q » July 2nd, 2017, 4:49 pm

G_Dope wrote:
Quiet-Q wrote:& n*ggahs talking about raising the fare yet again :lol: ..they can eat a bag of dicks...n*ggahs better start investing in a whip (hooptie if any)..coughing up all that money only to get trapped on train in a hot a$$ tunnel with 100 other heads in the same car as you struggling for air..fuk that
for some reason people who have cars rather take train talking bout sum they cant find parking espcially in manhatten NY People think so backwards

On certain days i feel that because its hard to find parking further downtown you go ib manhattan...deep downtown.sh*t even upper east & westside..i be having to park blocks away from my initial spots .but anything uptown..harlem the heights etc..you be better off driving ..but n*ggahs gotta invest in a whip anyway

Quiet-Q
godfather

Post by Quiet-Q » July 12th, 2017, 10:02 pm

Riders get stranded on subway after MTA messes it up again
By Danielle Furfaro July 12, 2017 | 2:13pm | Updated

Exasperated 7-line riders spent hours trying to get to work Wednesday when the brakes on a train near Grand Central went into emergency, leaving some straphangers stranded in an East River tunnel.

“I just spent 40 minutes stuck in the tunnel on a 7 train only to be sent back to queens ONLY TO IMMEDIATELY GO BACK TO MANHATTAN,” tweeted Twitter user taraasaurusrex. “150% done.”

MTA officials have not responded to repeated requests for information on why the train went into emergency or why the other train behind it was brought back and forth through the tunnel.

Mayor Bill de Blasio’s spokeswoman was among the suffering straphangers.

“Clocked in at 2.5 hours plus to get to work today, including summer camp pit stop,” said Jessica Ramos, who lived tweeted the whole debacle. “This usually takes me an hour fifteen on a bad day.”

LORD AKBAR
boss

Post by LORD AKBAR » July 13th, 2017, 1:10 am

Another reason to leave New York.

Neutron Nation
underboss

Post by Neutron Nation » July 14th, 2017, 5:26 am

Subways are a lot of money, to fix the whole system I read would cost 50 billion

ddd
fresh meat

Post by ddd » July 15th, 2017, 3:25 pm

who wants to pay 130 dollars for a broken metro? I don't blame anyone for 100 yo infrastructure, except the past politicans who pocketed generous donations from developers so they can move all of us out of NYC, instead of securing contracts to replace fucking signals and switches, peeling lead paint on raised platforms? WTF im about to go eat some and sue the city RT. Rents still TOO DAMN HIGH. lmfao.

Quiet-Q
godfather

Post by Quiet-Q » July 17th, 2017, 6:16 pm

Subway riders trapped, injured after track fire snarls morning commute
By Danielle Furfaro, Daniel Prendergast and Natalie Musumeci July 17, 2017

A track fire in upper Manhattan snarled subway service on several lines early Monday — trapping commuters on a D train for about an hour and leaving nine people with minor injuries.

The blaze began at about 7:25 a.m. on the track near 145th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue in Harlem, causing smoke to travel down the tunnel to 135th Street, according to FDNY officials.

Nine people who suffered smoke inhalation were taken to St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York-Presbyterian Hospital and Harlem Hospital, officials said.

Power was cut from a southbound train and riders were stuck aboard the train as a result of the smoky tunnel.

“We’re stuck on a s/b D train near at the 145th stop Car # 2536. A woman is having a panic attack and they will not open the doors,” Twitter user @TLCherri tweeted.

“We were stuck at 145th street with the doors closed. They finally let us out due to a sick passenger. The station was filled with smoke,” the commuter said in another tweet.

Due to the track fire, the A train service was suspended between 125th Street and Inwood 207th Street in both directions.

B train service was suspended between Bedford Park Boulevard and Brighton Beach in both directions.

Service on the C train between Euclid Avenue and 168th Street was suspended in both directions and D train service between 125th Street and Norwood-205th Street was suspended in both directions.

G.N. Miller
Some northbound D trains were terminating at 36th Street in Brooklyn, West 4th Street-Washington Square or 34th Street-Herald Square.

Shuttle D train service was running between 125th Street and Norwood-205th Street in both directions.

Neutron Nation
underboss

Post by Neutron Nation » July 17th, 2017, 7:18 pm

When I was younger I ain't gonna lie, when them trains got stuck in the dark a$$ tunnels around Division and all of that I was on 10. Thank god the only lines that have tunnels are the red and blue lines, the rest above ground

Quiet-Q
godfather

Post by Quiet-Q » July 21st, 2017, 4:58 pm

Another subway derails during ‘Summer of Hell’
By Danielle Furfaro and Natalie Musumeci July 21, 2017 | 9:57am

The Summer of Hell ended the work week with a bang.

A southbound Q train derailed in Brooklyn during Friday morning’s rush, prompting the complete suspension of the B train in both directions, according to the MTA.

The incident occurred just before 9 a.m. at the Brighton Beach station and a rescue train was on the scene, a transit source said.

There were no injuries immediately reported.

Due to the derailment, B trains were suspended from Bedford Park Boulveard to Brighton Beach in both directions and southbound Q trains were running on the N line from Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center to Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue, the MTA said.

Riders were notified to expect delays on both the B and Q trains.

Friday’s subway derailment comes during a time of crisis for the MTA — and follows the derailment of an A train in Harlem last month caused by an unsecured piece of rail line that was left on the tracks.

As many as 34 people were hurt when two cars of the A train derailed at the bustling 125th Street station June 27.

In recent months, the MTA has been especially plagued by the system’s aging infrastructure.