Bx,ny:(southside forest pz) xmas time brings pain to moms who lost 4yo son during shootout(164th bosses /ybz charged

Quiet-Q
godfather

Bx,ny:(southside forest pz) xmas time brings pain to moms who lost 4yo son during shootout(164th bosses /ybz charged

Post by Quiet-Q » December 27th, 2015, 12:24 pm

NY Daily News
New York
Christmas brings pain for Bronx mom who lost son in 2012
THOMAS TRACY
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS 12/24/2015

Shianne Norman holds a photo of her son Lloyd on Thursday. She has not celebrated Christmas since the boy was killed in 2012, but this year she wrapped presents for her daughters.
Shianne Norman is one step closer to embracing the holiday she once held dear.

Since the murder of her 4-year-old son at the hands of gun-toting Bronx gangbangers three years ago, Christmas hasn’t existed for a woman who made a tradition of wrapping gifts while watching the 1983 classic “A Christmas Story.”

“I haven’t celebrated Christmas since my son died,” the 31-year-old mom told the Daily News. “It just never happened. I couldn’t gear up the feelings to go out and get a tree and do it.”

Little Lloyd Morgan Jr. was fatally struck by a bullet from a .45-caliber handgun as rival gangs at Morrisania’s Forest Houses turned a playground into a shooting gallery on July 22, 2012.

Lloyd was in the playground when shots were fired during a basketball tournament at an adjacent court.

Just like the last three holidays since his death, there will be no twinkling Christmas tree towering in the corner of Norman’s apartment on Vyse Ave. in the Foxhurst neighborhood.

But there will be a small tabletop tree and colorfully wrapped presents — for the two daughters who have taken this heartwrenching journey with Norman.

She just pulled them out of the Toys “R” Us bag and handed them over, she said.

This year is going to be different, she vowed.

“I don’t want my daughters to think that they lost their brother and their mother,” she said.

On Christmas Eve, she turned on “A Christmas Story” on TBS, hunkered down and started wrapping Christmas gifts.

Her 14-year-old daughter Amya is getting an Xbox and her 2-year-old toddler Lauren is getting a bunch of children’s books.

“I’m also going to make a little dinner . . . nothing Christmassy, but something to celebrate the holiday with,” she said. “My youngest is old enough now to know what is going on. And she will only know what you show her.”

On Christmas morning — after her daughters unwrap their presents — she and her family plan to go to the National Action Network offices in Harlem and hand out toys to needy children.

“We want to give back, because everyone is going through something,” she said. “It’s important to have a little bit of the holiday.”

The Rev. Al Sharpton gave the eulogy at Lloyd’s funeral at Mount Neboh Baptist Church in Harlem in 2012.

“I’m angry at myself and all of us, ’cause it shouldn’t have gotten to this,” Sharpton said at the time, pointing to the 4-foot-long casket. “This is not about the blame game no more. This is about all of those who will stand up and take responsibility for our part in making sure our babies grow up.”

Shianne Norman with her daughters Maya Edwards, 14, and 2-year old Lauren.
But the more than 375 street crews in the five boroughs wouldn’t be as dangerous if it weren’t for all the easily accessible handguns that can be found on the street, she said.

“I don’t have any respect for (gangs) ... I don’t care how much brotherhood they feel,” she said. “But it’s deeper than that. It’s just too easy to get a gun.”

Pinkerton was sentenced to 20 years for manslaughter as part of a plea deal. Fellow 64 Bosses gang member Jeffrey got eight years for criminal possession of a weapon.

While Norman and her family are trying to find a new normal, the pain still lingers.

“I took him outside to play, and I never brought my son back home,” she recalled.

Shianne Norman and her 2-year old daughter Lauren. This year, the family has started to embrace Christmas for the first time since her son, Lloyd, died in 2012.
She also knows the life lessons that Lloyd will never have.

Her smiling, wide-eyed son never lost any teeth and was never able to go to kindergarten.

“Lloyd would have been someone, but they took my son away from me,” she said.

And as she and her fiancé went to Toys “R” Us this year to get Amya’s Xbox, she couldn’t bring herself to go down a few store aisles.

They were filled with toys for boys.

“We couldn’t look at them,” she said. “My son would have been 7. I didn’t want to look at the things we’re not able to play with him now.

“It was really hard,” she said.

[email protected]
Attachments
norman25n-1-web.jpg
norman25n-1-web.jpg (15.4 KiB) Viewed 279 times
article-norman2-1224.jpg
article-norman2-1224.jpg (20.22 KiB) Viewed 279 times
norman25n-4-web.jpg
norman25n-4-web.jpg (17.33 KiB) Viewed 279 times