Untold Story of the Spanish Mafia in Chicago

HoodProphet
boss
boss

Untold Story of the Spanish Mafia in Chicago

Post by HoodProphet » December 16th, 2015, 7:58 pm

Damn so the spanish niggas tried to start a mafia? Shit crazy never heard of this ain't even gone lie, and the SGDs were the spanish mafia, but it fell off? quick but interesting read, gone cop the book though

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/in ... d=20511448

You wanna be a punk gang member or do you wanna be a gangster? This guy there has his pants hanging off his ass—the gang member standing on the street corner. This guy there has got tunnel vision, only sees so far. . . . This guy here—the gangster . . . is going to all the fine restaurants and nightclubs and going to political fundraisers, getting things done."

These are the words of Sal Martino, or at least the man called "Sal Martino" in criminologist and author John Hagedorn's most recent book, The Insane Chicago Way (University of Chicago). Concealing Sal's identity was paramount.

"We had to be careful not to be seen together by anyone from the world of organized crime, gangs, the media, or law enforcement," Hagedorn explained earlier this month in a musty Lakeview home lined with books and potted plants, where academics, students, activists, and onetime major gang chiefs gathered together to celebrate the publication of The Insane Chicago Way.

Sal and Hagedorn met in seedy hotels and dingy restaurants with few customers in places far from the west-side neighborhood known as the Patch, where members of the local Mafia are known to reside. "We also met in private locked cubicles in libraries across the city. I registered under my name and almost always gave the reason for the meeting 'Law Enforcement.'"

In the privacy of those locked cubicles, Sal told Hagedorn stories he had never heard before. "Now, I'd been doing gang research for almost 30 years," Hagedorn told me. "I doubted that anything some guy I'd never heard of could say was something I hadn't heard many times before. I was wrong." Hagedorn later corroborated the facts with his own gang contacts. What began to take shape was the daring plan of gang leaders incarcerated in Statesville—Fernando "Prince Fernie" Zayas from the Maniac Latin Disciples, Anibal "Tuffy C" Santiago from the Insane Spanish Cobras, and David Ayala from the Two Sixers—to create a local Latino Mafia.

In 1989 they established one of the most structured gang organizations in Chicago: the Spanish Growth and Development (SGD). With a strict set of rules, dispute-mediating mechanisms, and exclusively Latino membership, SGD was driven by the urgent need to control bloodshed on the streets.

By 1990, murders had hit dizzying heights, with more than 40 shot in Humboldt Park alone. "Killing people and doing drive-by shootings is bad for business," Sal said. "All it does is bring the attention of law enforcement. When law enforcement has all eyes on you, no one can make any money. And there is billions and billions of dollars out there to be made."

In an effort to overcome deadly rivalries between Hispanic gangs, SGD created an intergang structure modeled after the Chicago Mafia. "The agenda was power," Sal explained. The Insane Chicago Way posits that the Mafia exerts a larger influence on contemporary gangs than law enforcement believes, mostly through a complex network of "associates" who act as middlemen between the two criminal organizations.

SGD members also infiltrated and corrupted the police, either by paying "bones," a percentage of drug profits, to cops, or by entering the CPD as double agents. "Gang researchers have largely avoided investigating police misconduct and official corruption," Hagedorn contends in his book. His detailed account of the guisos ("robbery of drug dealers") carried out by crooked police officer Joseph Miedzianowski and later by the CPD Special Operations Section is merely a glimpse of police corruption and its profound impact on gangs. "Without the cops, none of this stuff could happen," cracks the Don, a Mafia elder.

Hagedorn confesses that the book is partly an attempt to understand why SGD could not stop the rampant violence on the west side. "Police, the press, and the public all saw the carnage as irrational and basically about turf, revenge, or drugs," he writes in The Insane Chicago Way. The collapse of the SGD left in its wake fractured gangs and a breakdown in gang leadership. "I'm doing these juvenile life-without-parole cases," Hagedorn told me. "I got 100 kids coming back to Cook County Jail waiting for resentencing. And they can't believe the disorganization of gang members today. It is all up in the air. The structure has been broken."

I asked Hagedorn how his book was received by the gangs. "It has been making the rounds," he laughed. "Word on the street is I got it right."  v

40 OUNCE FEVER
underboss
underboss

Re: Untold Story of the Spanish Mafia in Chicago

Post by 40 OUNCE FEVER » December 16th, 2015, 10:22 pm

I'll have to check that shit out. If you ever get a chance, peep "Chicago Cop: Tales From The Streets"

Lotta good reads/ stories in there about the life of a beat officer challenged with patrolling turbulent areas like Woodlawn, the ABLA homes, RT homes, Pilsen etc... back when shit was really cracking in the 80's & 90's.

HoodProphet
boss
boss

Post by HoodProphet » December 16th, 2015, 11:47 pm

Cool, i'm check those out I need some good reading while this winter hit, even though it been feelin like spring

Allinyourhood
underboss
underboss

Post by Allinyourhood » December 17th, 2015, 12:30 am

This story about the Latino mafia and how the SGD was born for a bunch of main head latino leaders from many different nations to be part of separated from they own mobs till some snitches killed the movement.
This was all created with the sinaloa to start the major operations for the drug pipelines to the east coast and Canada.
this is old news and this story is well known all thru Chicago as my hood was invited into this movement. ...surprised ya young niggas never got schooled on this topic...55555 Amor

chitowntdawg
boss
boss

Post by chitowntdawg » December 17th, 2015, 3:38 am

True if you know yo history then u know thats how shit was goin down ....were they the only ones making moves ? No .....u in tune now you know who runnnin big chunk of the pie nowadays....much love to all the brothas who set the foundation....ADR

COMPTONxFLATS
major
major

Post by COMPTONxFLATS » December 17th, 2015, 6:42 am

LA EME FOH. THESE FOOS IN CHICAGO NEED LA EMES STRUCTURE. NO STRUCTURE= NIGGERS :discust:

_brolic_
superior
superior

Post by _brolic_ » December 17th, 2015, 11:05 am

I already copped this book, it's a good read. It really surprised me how big a part of the connection between the Chicago Outfit and SGD the C-Notes were.

HoodProphet
boss
boss

Post by HoodProphet » December 17th, 2015, 12:11 pm

New to me......c-notes?
The MLDs have heavy black membership, I wonder how they would of played out

_brolic_
superior
superior

Post by _brolic_ » December 17th, 2015, 11:06 pm

According to the book by the '90s the C-Notes had just about as many Latinos as Whites

Crooked$ipp
captain
captain

Post by Crooked$ipp » December 18th, 2015, 2:13 pm

_brolic_ wrote:I already copped this book, it's a good read. It really surprised me how big a part of the connection between the Chicago Outfit and SGD the C-Notes were.
What about any connections between the Outfit & black mobs? I come across a few books and articles that hint them Mickey Cobras had s small connection.

40 OUNCE FEVER
underboss
underboss

Post by 40 OUNCE FEVER » December 19th, 2015, 2:48 am

_brolic_ wrote:I already copped this book, it's a good read. It really surprised me how big a part of the connection between the Chicago Outfit and SGD the C-Notes were.
C-Notes :ohhh: I definitely gotta read this now! They're still majority latino but not by too much. Lotta old heads and their family are tied between JP and Uk Village.

Neal
underboss
underboss

Post by Neal » December 19th, 2015, 8:35 am

Hey, since when was David Ayala discharged from the IDOC?

_brolic_
superior
superior

Post by _brolic_ » December 19th, 2015, 10:50 am

What about any connections between the Outfit & black mobs? I come across a few books and articles that hint them Mickey Cobras had s small connection.
This book in particular just focuses on the connection between the Outfit and Latin Folks mobs

MILROCKZ
prospect

Post by MILROCKZ » February 21st, 2016, 2:07 pm

I just copped the book also but one of the things Im confused by is the Chicago Crime Commission book says SGD started in 1974 by Rudy Rios, and this new book says they were started in 1989 by all the heads of Latino Folks in Statesville prison?

Neal
underboss
underboss

Post by Neal » February 22nd, 2016, 6:41 am

MILROCKZ wrote:I just copped the book also but one of the things Im confused by is the Chicago Crime Commission book says SGD started in 1974 by Rudy Rios, and this new book says they were started in 1989 by all the heads of Latino Folks in Statesville prison?
Seems like the whole Internet would be borrowing the whole 1974 story of Rudy Rios.

Supposedly Hagedorn's source is just an insider soldier of the C-Note$.

Not that the CCC book has a lot of errors. Says Cobras were founded in the '50s and ain't that a lie? Says Jivers were founded in the '80s, but a real Jiver told me their founding year was 1966 or 1967. Says LKs got 3 regions, etc.

_brolic_
superior
superior

Post by _brolic_ » February 22nd, 2016, 9:56 am

Yeah I wondered that too MilRockz he constantly mentions SGD in the book but he's never talking about the actual Spanish gangster Disciples. There's more than a few things that seem questionable in the book, like the author claiming SCRs were the single largest mob back in the '70s

MILROCKZ
prospect

Post by MILROCKZ » April 21st, 2016, 1:54 pm

Neal wrote:
MILROCKZ wrote:I just copped the book also but one of the things Im confused by is the Chicago Crime Commission book says SGD started in 1974 by Rudy Rios, and this new book says they were started in 1989 by all the heads of Latino Folks in Statesville prison?
Seems like the whole Internet would be borrowing the whole 1974 story of Rudy Rios.

Not that the CCC book has a lot of errors. Says Cobras were founded in the '50s and ain't that a lie? Says Jivers were founded in the '80s, but a real Jiver told me their founding year was 1966 or 1967. Says LKs got 3 regions, etc.

The Cobras could not have been founded in 50's by Richard Medina since he was born in the late 50's. I think they were founded by someone else in the 1960's.

Neal
underboss
underboss

Post by Neal » April 21st, 2016, 2:12 pm

MILROCKZ wrote:
Neal wrote:

The Cobras could not have been founded in 50's by Richard Medina since he was born in the late 50's. I think they were founded by someone else in the 1960's.
Yea if Medina was born in the late '50s he could not have founded it in the late '60s either.

But I did find a newspaper that the Imperials were, December 1961 article that mentioned they were enemies with the Cobras.

I could ask some people.

Neal
underboss
underboss

Post by Neal » April 21st, 2016, 2:18 pm

And then, how certain are you KC was born in the late '50s?

When was KC killed, if he was alive after 1983 and had an arrest I should be able to look up his d.o.b.

MILROCKZ
prospect

Post by MILROCKZ » April 21st, 2016, 4:37 pm

Neal wrote:And then, how certain are you KC was born in the late '50s?

When was KC killed, if he was alive after 1983 and had an arrest I should be able to look up his d.o.b.

Do the math:

Arrest made in gang slaying
The Milwaukee Journal-April 25, 1979
Billy Pyter, 21, was charged Tuesday with the murder of Richard Medina, 22, a member of the Spanish Cobra gang. Police said Medina had been reaching into the trunk of his car when he was shot from a passing vehicle.