Colin Kaepernick Explains His Refusal to Stand When The National Anthem Plays

oog
oog
Region: West
Affiliation: Neutral

Colin Kaepernick Explains His Refusal to Stand When The National Anthem Plays

Postby The Chosen One » August 28th, 2016, 10:10 am

Colin Kaepernick staged the first on-field protest of the 2016 NFL season on Friday [August 26], drawing a mixed reaction to his refusal to observe the National Anthem during San Francisco's preseason home opener against the Green Bay Packers. There is no telling how many fans took notice of Kap's lack of participation in the ceremony, or whether his teammates might have anticipated that he'd remain seated, as the 49ers QB seemed to indicate that he's been for the most part inconspicuous about his stance. "This is not something that I am going to run by anybody," he told NFL Media reporter Steve Wyche after the game. "I am not looking for approval. I have to stand up for people that are oppressed."

It wasn't until after the Niners' 21-10 defeat that it became apparent the veteran will be going into his sixth year with a message that transcends the sport. "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football, and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder," he responded when confronted with the question as to what was behind his decision. "If they take football away, my endorsements from me, I know that I stood up for what is right," he said. The statement aroused the disapproval of some, but the respect of others across social media.

Leading up to the season it has been anticipated that some players will choose to speak out on the issue of police brutality. It's hard to gauge just what to expect in terms of protests, as many across the sporting world were indeed inspired by Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul and Lebron's call to action during the ESPY's. Divisions on how to approach the discussion have even shown up within teams, with Seattle's Michael Bennett coming forth in support of Black Lives Matter only days after teammate Richard Sherman saying that he does not stand behind everything the movement represents.

THEM CURSES!! :yeahright: did u read that Whitebomber

Deuteronomy 28:29
King James Bible
And thou shalt grope at noonday, as the blind gropeth in darkness, and thou shalt not prosper in thy ways: and thou shalt be only oppressed and spoiled evermore, and no man shall save thee.

:respek:

associate

Re: Colin Kaepernick Explains His Refusal to Stand When The National Anthem Plays

Postby BLACK edomite » August 28th, 2016, 10:13 am

:approve: but homie do look like a terroist :lol:

godfather
godfather
Region: North East
Affiliation: Avoiding nonsense

Re: Colin Kaepernick Explains His Refusal to Stand When The National Anthem Plays

Postby Q. » August 28th, 2016, 2:27 pm

Hes not fully black though...i think hes mixed with russian or some shit.

superior
superior
Region: Nationwide
Affiliation: Money

Postby 441 » August 28th, 2016, 3:14 pm

:lol:

oog
oog
Affiliation: Evil

Postby » August 28th, 2016, 3:23 pm

People talking about he not full black but has more backbone than the rest of the rich niggas. He blacker than the Rachel Dolezal of the Crips. :tiphat:

superior
superior
Affiliation: Money

Postby 441 » August 28th, 2016, 3:23 pm

You rite 'South Bank Crip'...

oog
oog
Affiliation: Evil

Postby » August 28th, 2016, 3:26 pm

Lmao that's your come back Rachel, try harder cuz. :lmao:

godfather
godfather

Postby Q. » August 28th, 2016, 4:09 pm

Q. wrote:Hes not fully black though...i think hes mixed with russian or some shit.

Cry More: Kaepernick's 'Racial Struggle' As A Child

AP/Marcio Jose SanchezAP/Marcio Jose Sanchez
BY: ROBERT KRAYCHIK AUGUST 27, 2016

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick spoke with left-wing celebrity tabloid Us Weekly in late 2015 to outline a “racial struggle” he associated with his childhood. The NFL star has generated headlines today following his refusal to stand for the national anthem during the pregame ritual on Friday, citing his opposition to America's "[oppression] of black people and people of color."

Adopted by white parents in Wisconsin, Kaepernick is the biological child of a white woman and a black man. He was born in 1987.

Speaking in terms of race, Kaepernick told Us Weekly that “he knew he was different [from his parents]… even before he could speak."

"I knew I was different to my parents and my older brother and sister," said Kaepernick. "I never felt that I was supposed to be white. Or black, either. My parents just wanted to let me be who I needed to be."

Us Weekly indulged Kaepernick's grievance-mongering and self-victimization, describing him as being "judged" by “the world” because of "the color of his skin."

Kaepernick recalled his childhood struggles:

"We used to go on these summer driving vacations and stay at motels. And every year, in the lobby of every motel, the same thing always happened, and it only got worse as I got older and taller. It didn’t matter how close I stood to my family, somebody would walk up to me, a real nervous manager, and say: ‘Excuse me. Is there something I can help you with?'"

Somehow, Kaepernick developed a racial ethos over time:

"What do I represent?’ And you know what? My racial heritage is something I want people to be well aware of. I do want to be a representative of the African community, and I want to hold myself and dress myself in a way that reflects that. I want black kids to see me and think: ‘Okay, he’s carrying himself as a black man, and that’s how a black man should carry himself.’"

Kaepernick explained his refusal to stand for the Star-Spangled Banner, expressing solidarity with the neo-Marxist racial narratives of Black Lives Matter:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Describing himself as a black man in a society that “oppresses black people,” Kaepernick signed a 6-year contract with the 49ers in 2015 for $114 million. He has also been paid millions of additional dollars through endorsement deals.

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick holds a tablet computer as he stands on the sideline during the first half of a preseason NFL football game against the Denver Broncos, Saturday, Aug. 20, 2016, in Denver. (AP Photo/Joe Mahoney)

king
king
Region: South
Affiliation: Rockin a Gold Watch and a Gold Strap

Postby 2wo-G » August 28th, 2016, 4:14 pm

Q. wrote:
Q. wrote:Hes not fully black though...i think hes mixed with russian or some shit.

Cry More: Kaepernick's 'Racial Struggle' As A Child

AP/Marcio Jose SanchezAP/Marcio Jose Sanchez
BY: ROBERT KRAYCHIK AUGUST 27, 2016

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick spoke with left-wing celebrity tabloid Us Weekly in late 2015 to outline a “racial struggle” he associated with his childhood. The NFL star has generated headlines today following his refusal to stand for the national anthem during the pregame ritual on Friday, citing his opposition to America's "[oppression] of black people and people of color."

Adopted by white parents in Wisconsin, Kaepernick is the biological child of a white woman and a black man. He was born in 1987.

Speaking in terms of race, Kaepernick told Us Weekly that “he knew he was different [from his parents]… even before he could speak."

"I knew I was different to my parents and my older brother and sister," said Kaepernick. "I never felt that I was supposed to be white. Or black, either. My parents just wanted to let me be who I needed to be."

Us Weekly indulged Kaepernick's grievance-mongering and self-victimization, describing him as being "judged" by “the world” because of "the color of his skin."

Kaepernick recalled his childhood struggles:

"We used to go on these summer driving vacations and stay at motels. And every year, in the lobby of every motel, the same thing always happened, and it only got worse as I got older and taller. It didn’t matter how close I stood to my family, somebody would walk up to me, a real nervous manager, and say: ‘Excuse me. Is there something I can help you with?'"

Somehow, Kaepernick developed a racial ethos over time:

"What do I represent?’ And you know what? My racial heritage is something I want people to be well aware of. I do want to be a representative of the African community, and I want to hold myself and dress myself in a way that reflects that. I want black kids to see me and think: ‘Okay, he’s carrying himself as a black man, and that’s how a black man should carry himself.’"

Kaepernick explained his refusal to stand for the Star-Spangled Banner, expressing solidarity with the neo-Marxist racial narratives of Black Lives Matter:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Describing himself as a black man in a society that “oppresses black people,” Kaepernick signed a 6-year contract with the 49ers in 2015 for $114 million. He has also been paid millions of additional dollars through endorsement deals.

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick holds a tablet computer as he stands on the sideline during the first half of a preseason NFL football game against the Denver Broncos, Saturday, Aug. 20, 2016, in Denver. (AP Photo/Joe Mahoney)

Man the dude who wrote this needs his ass kicked fr lol.

prince
prince
Affiliation: EAST OAKLAND

Postby townbizzEa$T O » August 28th, 2016, 5:26 pm

Cobalt wrote:People talking about he not full black but has more backbone than the rest of the rich niggas. He blacker than the Rachel Dolezal of the Crips. :tiphat:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :rip:

oog
oog

Postby The Chosen One » August 28th, 2016, 6:22 pm

Cobalt wrote:People talking about he not full black but has more backbone than the rest of the rich niggas. He blacker than the Rachel Dolezal of the Crips. :tiphat:

FACTS!!

:2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :tiphat:

godfather
godfather

Postby Q. » August 29th, 2016, 5:15 am

(those who watched basketball during 90s know about the chris jackson aka mahmoud abdul situation(a black brother from mississippi) that was done before colin situation...nothing new & nothing changed)

---------

NBA
Colin Kaepernick controversy strikingly similar to Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf's stand

Colin Kaepernick ignited a firestorm of controversy Friday night by refusing to stand for the national anthem prior to the 49ers' preseason game against the Packers. The oft-maligned San Francisco quarterback said after the game he would not stand for the flag "of a country that oppresses black people and people of color."

The reaction was swift. Some fans told Kap to leave the country if he doesn't like it, others took his side and then there's always the insults. Something thoughtful occasionally emerged out of the landfill of takes.

Kaepernick's situation is a reminder that not much has changed. Two decades before Kaepernick took his stand by sitting, Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf did the same.

The former Nuggets point guard decided prior to the 1995-96 season he would not stand for the national anthem due to his Islamic beliefs. He did this for months before a reporter finally noticed in March of 1996. (NFL.com's Mike Garafolo reported Kaepernick has been sitting during the anthem all preseason. It only came to light Friday night.)

"I began to question, why am I doing what I do?" Abdul-Rauf told Hoops Hype in 2010, reflecting on his decision not to stand. "Do I believe that this is the right thing to do? So I came to this decision. I said, 'No.' There were a lot of things that I disagree with and if I’m going to be true to myself, I have to begin to act like it and not just talk about it. That’s what brought me to that point of not standing."

Again, the reaction was swift. The local news report below featuring students from Los Medanos College is basically a bunch of Twitter replies before Twitter existed.

Abdul-Rauf was suspended one game by NBA commissioner David Stern for his actions. A compromise was later reached allowing Abdul-Rauf to bow his head in prayer while standing for the anthem. He didn't have the support of the guys in suits despite having the support of his teammates. It seems Kaepernick finds himself in a similar spot.

In Abdul-Rauf's mind, the damage had already been done. He was traded to the Kings at the end of the 1996 season. He played two seasons in Sacramento, then went overseas before attempting an ill-fated NBA comeback in 2000-01 with the Grizzlies.

"After the national anthem fiasco, nobody really wanted to touch me," Abdul-Rauf said. "Then there was the HBO interview with Bryant Gumbel. After that, it was like it killed everything. Because that was after September 11. I could not even get an invitation to go try out with a team."

SLOVER: Maybe more people should sit with Kaepernick

It's unlikely Kaepernick will face discipline from the NFL like Abdul-Rauf did from the NBA. The NFL says players are "encouraged but not required" to stand during the national anthem. Still, Kaepernick is willing to face the consequences for his actions, even if that means putting his football future in jeopardy.

"If they take football away, my endorsements from me, I know that I stood up for what is right," Kaepernick said.

Now who does that sound like?

"I went through it for a reason — to get where I’m at now," Abdul-Rauf said. "I wouldn’t change anything. I think I’ve become a better person because of it."

It remains to be seen whether Kap will go the way of Abdul-Rauf and gradually fade away from his sport for speaking his mind. But it's clear he's prepared to go down that road the same way Abdul-Rauf was more than 20 years ago.
Attachments
mahmoud-abdul-rauf-ftr-082716jpg_1qf21cm7ohc651q2lma6mewbim.jpg
mahmoud-abdul-rauf-ftr-082716jpg_1qf21cm7ohc651q2lma6mewbim.jpg (110.62 KiB) Viewed 458 times

godfather
godfather

Postby Q. » August 29th, 2016, 5:17 am

That article said islamic beliefs but he also said how america oppresses people also

godfather
godfather

Postby Q. » August 29th, 2016, 5:19 am

He basically lost his nba career after that (which i can respect because he made the sacrifice doing what he loved playing ball in nba for a bigger picture outside of sports)....

ooog
ooog
Affiliation: I-95

Postby BluntedUp » August 29th, 2016, 2:29 pm

Q. wrote:He basically lost his nba career after that (which i can respect because he made the sacrifice doing what he loved playing ball in nba for a bigger picture outside of sports)....

Lol white folks burning sons jersey

underboss
underboss

Postby Money_Motivated » August 30th, 2016, 1:04 am

He made some very good points, but at the same time all these police shootings are happening and nothing is being done. I feel like people do not take blacks serious. Especially with the fact that blacks kill each other at an alarming rate. To fix this problem we need more blacks in the system, we need more black judges, lawyers, politicians and less athletes and rappers. Just my opinion :shrug:

foot soldier
foot soldier

Postby HomieDaKlown » August 30th, 2016, 4:42 am

The Chosen One wrote:

FACTS!!

:2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :tiphat:

shit is just an emotional attack. its rly weird how u see mixed ppl gettin attacked for supporting blacks but outta everyone thts mixed, MALCOLM X name never gets mentioned not once. :2cents:

og
og
Affiliation: ...

Postby BkBarclays » August 30th, 2016, 4:59 am

Malcom X moms was allegedly raped by a white man so they say.

captain
captain
Region: Midwest

Postby urmom45 » August 30th, 2016, 3:06 pm

Heres how i see it. Hrs in a country that let's him make millions a year to throw a ball a aeound he has that freedom but still cantbstamd for the anthem ?

Return to Lobby