True Crime Books on Chicago Gangs

T.C. Aficionado
fresh meat

Re: True Crime Books on Chicago Gangs

Post by T.C. Aficionado » September 28th, 2015, 7:02 pm

The Guys in the Gang

by James T. Joyce ·

There was more to be learned on Chicago's Southside than the reading, writing, and religion taught in schools. In this memoir, authors James T. Joyce and James T. Joyce present a collection of stories about what they learned growing up in an Irish-Catholic neighborhood in the 1950s and '60s on Chicago's Southside. The Guys in the Gang narrates how the neighborhood nurtured love, camaraderie, family values, and racial hatred. It tells of how religion shaped their lives; describes the frequently illegal (but mostly harmless) antics of teenaged boys; discusses the broadening experiences of college and the army; and recalls an assortment of jobs, from the brutally boring and noisy factory work to business in foreign embassies to fighting fires. It tells of people met and befriended, from the super-rich to inept Korean golfers who feared imaginary tigers, including poignant and entertaining snippets from their lives. With humorous touches, The Guys in the Gang describes how this group forged bonds of friendship that endured monkeys and mortal losses, and how the guys supported each other through high times and dark valleys.

Khmonymous
prince
prince

Post by Khmonymous » September 29th, 2015, 2:38 am

My bloody life was Sorry that nigga got butt fucked by his cousin :cmon:

T.C. Aficionado
fresh meat

Post by T.C. Aficionado » September 30th, 2015, 7:16 pm

Flukey Stokes: Drugs, Gangs, & Police Corruption in Chicago

by Al Profit (Author)

Willie "Flukey" Stokes was on the short list of most successful Black gangsters not just in Chicago history, but in American history. An iconic figure in the Windy City, he first became known to police in the late 1950's as a drug dealer, and by the late 70's had become a true Kingpin, dominating the South Side drug trade. Stokes' flair for the dramatic was such that when his son "Willie the Wimp" was killed in 1984, the funeral was memorialized in song by legendary guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughn.
Stokes was killed just as the age of crack cocaine was taking root, and in many ways he was the last of a dying breed. During Flukey's era, selling drugs was a complicated game controlled by a select few, not the wild west of teenage gunslingers that characterized the age of crack cocaine.
By now, stories about piles of cash and lists of murder victims associated with the drug underworld are old hat, so what makes the tale of Flukey Stokes worth telling? After sifting through court documents and news articles about not only Stokes, but the various criminal characters involved in his story, I realized that the real story wasn't Stokes, but the system, primarily meaning the Chicago police department and Cook County prosecutor's office, that allowed him and other criminals to thrive, year after year, decade after decade.
Like so many major black drug dealers of his era, Flukey cultivated a Robin Hood image; people said he would find a new home for a burned-out family or reach into his pocket to keep a mother and her children from being evicted. After his death, ``Flukey`` T-shirts sold like hotcakes (or bags of dope) across Chicago's south side.
At the time of his death, federal agents had been investigating his operation for about two years, according to an agent involved in the probe. They were within a couple months of indicting him on charges of racketeering, tax violations and running a criminal enterprise, said the agent, who asked that his name be withheld for the safety of his family.
``What he would have been looking at was life in prison,`` he said.
The Feds claimed that Stokes ran 20 to 40 dope houses, selling cocaine and heroin 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Each house made $20,000 to $60,000 a week; as many as 200 people were on his payroll at any given time, according to the agent.
Today, Chicago is the capital of illegal drugs in America; Willie "Flukey" Stokes was the most powerful black gangster in Chicago history. The story of his life and death is a saga of bodyguards turned to assassins, hitmen turned to informants, informants turned to rapists, shooting victims turned to murder suspects, and kingpins turned to corpses in a never ending cycle.

CryBabyAssNigga
superior
superior

Post by CryBabyAssNigga » October 1st, 2015, 7:55 am

ThaHoodRef wrote:My bloody life was Sorry that nigga got butt fucked by his cousin :cmon:
Kings are kinda into that kinky shit :lol:

T.C. Aficionado
fresh meat

Post by T.C. Aficionado » October 1st, 2015, 6:42 pm

Honor and the American Dream: Culture and Identity in a Chicano Community

by Ruth Horowitz ·

Thirty-second Street in Chicago. A Chicano community, peaceful on a warm summer night, residents socializing, children playing--and gang warfare ready to explode at any time. Ruth Horowitz takes us to the heart of this world, one characterized by opposing sets of values. On the one hand, residents believe in hard work, education, family ties, and the American dream of success. On the other hand, gang members are preoccupied with fighting to maintain their personal and family honor. Horowitz gives us an inside look at this world, showing us how the juxtaposition of two worlds--the streets and the social ladder--and two cultures, Mexican and American, constantly challenges the residents of the community.

Neal
underboss
underboss

Post by Neal » October 1st, 2015, 7:02 pm

T.C.,

I spoke with the top MLD, the 2nd largest Latino gang in Chicago.

He wants to start a book on either the MLD history or his biography, how the prison system got him to be at the top.

He tells me the Spanish Cobras have a book, and so do the North side kings, but he says his mob does not have 1.

Where can he start?

My guess is find the same publishing companies that published the Spanish Cobra book.

T.C. Aficionado
fresh meat

Post by T.C. Aficionado » October 4th, 2015, 12:51 pm

Every author I know gets asked the same question: How do you write a book? It’s a simple question, but here’s the honest truth: 20% of the people who ask that question are hoping to hear this – Anyone can write a book. They want permission. The truth is you don’t need any. A pen, paper and effort are all that is required. You could write during lunch, at work, or after your kids go to sleep.

Writing a good book, compared to a bad one, involves one thing. Work. No one wants to hear this, but if you take two books off any shelf, I’ll bet the store the author of the better book worked harder than the author of the other one.

30% of the time the real thing people are asking is how do you find a publisher. Well the writers-market is literally begging to help writers find publishers. Many publishers, being positive on the whole idea of communication, put information on how to submit material on their website. And so do agents. The grand comedy of this is how few writers follow the instructions. That’s what pisses off all the editors: few writers do their homework.

The sticking point for most wanna-be published authors is, again, the work. They want to hear some secret that skips over the hard parts. Publishers are rightfully picky and they get pitched a zillion books a day. It takes effort to learn the ropes, send out smart queries, and do the research required to both craft the idea for a book, and then to propose it effectively. So while writing is a rejection prone occupation, even for the rock-stars, finding a publisher is not a mystery. In fact the whole game is self-selective: people who aren’t willing to do the leg-work of getting published are unlikely to be capable of the leg-work required to finish a decent manuscript.

Being famous and wealthy: Now this is the kicker. About 50% of the time the real thing people want to know is how to become a famous millionaire rock-star author dude.

First, this assumes writing is a good way to get rich. I’m not sure how this lie started but writing, like most creative pursuits, has always been a less than lucrative lifestyle. Even if a book sells well, the $$$$ to hour ratio will be well below your average corporate job. Over 100k books are published in the US annually, and few sell more than a few thousand copies. What causes books to sell may have little to do with how good a book is, as we’ve all been mystified by the abysmal bestsellers and surprised by amazing books few seem to know about. Either way, to justify the effort you’ll need reasons other than cash.

I have never heard of a Spanish Cobra book being out there and there are several Latin King books. My recommendation to your friend is to keep is mouth shut. "Loose Lips Sink Ships". I hope that I was helpful!

T.C.A.

_brolic_
superior
superior

Post by _brolic_ » October 4th, 2015, 4:20 pm

Neak, why don't you make some MLD pamphlets? :shrug:

Neal
underboss
underboss

Post by Neal » October 4th, 2015, 6:11 pm

Of course I think you meant a computer and Microsoft Word is required. Nobody wants someone else to type a book word-for-word from paper.

But I think my issue is to find a publisher that's willing to publish if there isn't going to be much proceeds.

I'm recently curious about "self-published" books. I can type 1 with Microsoft Word. Only problem is finding the hardcover, the binding, etc.

T.C. Aficionado
fresh meat

Post by T.C. Aficionado » October 5th, 2015, 9:47 pm

Self-Publishing information is readily available online.

On another note, I'm wondering if out of the 1,000 + hits this topic has received thus far, if anyone has read any of the books mentioned and if so would you be willing to provide feedback.

Thanks

T.C.A.

Neal
underboss
underboss

Post by Neal » October 5th, 2015, 9:49 pm

Regarding that Spanish Cobra book, he said it to me so fast, I don't remember it, but it has the word Anaconda in it.

By the way, say I'm writing a book on the history of the Latin Kings of Chicago. Would that be something you interested in? It would be a combined North side and South side kings, Little Village and Humboldt Park.

T.C. Aficionado
fresh meat

Post by T.C. Aficionado » October 6th, 2015, 9:39 pm

I searched high & low for that ISC book and there is no such thing.

As for the Latin Kings, sorry, I'm not interested in writing about them but thanks for asking. Good Luck!

Neal
underboss
underboss

Post by Neal » October 7th, 2015, 7:25 am

I meant reading. Right now it's a PDF file.

T.C. Aficionado
fresh meat

Post by T.C. Aficionado » October 8th, 2015, 6:41 pm

Thanks for the sneak preview offer but I will wait for the hardcover to come out.

T.C. Aficionado
fresh meat

Post by T.C. Aficionado » October 14th, 2015, 8:48 pm

The Blackstone Rangers;: A reporter's account of time spent with the street gang on Chicago's South Side

by Richard T Sale

"Nowhere in the history of this country has there been a group of young black men like us, organized with the kind of discipline we have, the kind of organization. Because that's what we are: an organization. We ain't no gang." Thus, Joel Hampton, the older brother of Freddy Hampton, described the largest ghetto street gang in the United States, the Blackstone Rangers. From a nine-member street gang founded in 1959, then called the Blackstone Raiders, the Blackstone Rangers had grown in nine years to a membership of over 4500, and had come to control the entire South Side of Chicago. In 1968 a young reporter from a major magazine met Joel Hampton in Resurrection City. In a Washington, D.C. bar, Hampton wrote the reporter a safe-conduct on a napkin, and two weeks later the reporter took it out to Chicago and went down to the South Side. This book records what he saw and heard. The colorful, brash, strong and moving personalities of the Stone leaders themselves. But, more important, it documents how the organization came to attain its immense size and powerful influence among young black people of Chicago.

T.C. Aficionado
fresh meat

Post by T.C. Aficionado » October 17th, 2015, 10:36 am

The Gang as an American Enterprise Paperback – April 1, 1992

by Felix M. Padilla (Author)

"Padilla writes with earnestness and concern ... the author never exploits or sensationalizes the kids he has written about ... this is vastly preferable to other recent titles on this timely subject."- Publisher's Weekly "This is the most thorough look at the operation of a violent street gang."-Library Journal "Makes a unique contribution to the literature on Puerto Rican ethnicity, a turf already centrally occupied by the author."-Jeffrey Fagan, Rutgers University "Padilla has dealt with gang drug dealing-one of the more sensationalized features of urban life-in a down-to-earth and realistic fashion. The reader begins to understand poor minority adolescents in a broad sociological context. This book is a significant contribution to urban ethnography."-Joan Moore, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee The Diamonds are a Chicago street gang whose members are second-generation Puerto Rican youths. For Felix Padilla the young men who join the Diamonds have made a logical choice. The gang is an alternative and dependable route to emotional support, self-respect, material goods, and upward mobility. Although Padilla shares the same ethnic background as the gang members and also grew up in a Chicago barrio, gaining the trust of the Diamonds was not easy. But eventually he was able to get close enough to the members to interview and observe them. Padilla shows us the process behind the decision to join the Diamonds. From early childhood, boys develop positive images of the gang. They realize that the dominant culture promises mobility, but that their paths to the mobility are blocked. By joining a gang they can creatively oppose the dominant culture. Padilla does not paint a romanticized picture of the Diamonds. Some members come to understand that when they sell drugs, they benefit the gang's leaders and suppliers more than themselves. Further, they recognize that the gang is also subject to problems of domination and inequality. Padilla shows that though the Diamonds are sometimes violent, they are not psychopaths. While we need not approve of what they do, Padilla urges us to understand it as a rational response to the doors these young men see closed around them. Felix M. Padilla is a professor in the Department of Latin American and Puerto Rican Studies at Lehman College-CUNY.

T.C. Aficionado
fresh meat

Post by T.C. Aficionado » October 28th, 2015, 5:13 pm

CHICAGO'S "42" GANG: STREET SMART PUNKS TO CAPONE'S KILLERS
by MICHAEL G'FRANCISO

Chicago's young hoodlum "42" Gang was hatched out of despair and by the lack of society's subvention to provide the proper guidance. Other ethnic gangs long before the origin of the 42er's were committing evil and hideous crimes. Most early 1900 gangs began with a need to belong. Schools for immigrants held the fear of a language barrier and caused one to seek out a friendly tongue. Misery loves company and wandering alone is lonely. Binding together give a group the edge and power to fill the emptiness of poverty. A criminal gang's true reason for organizing is to acquire money.
The "42" Gang was a group of pre-teenagers that out of necessity, stole to survive. Chicago's newspapers dubbed the near west side neighborhood of Taylor and Halsted Streets a "criminal farm". Little Italy, as most called it was truly a breeding place for young street thugs, but so were many other ethnic neighborhoods. The name "42" Gang has been recorded in Chicago's criminal history and will forever live in infamy because it played an important role in the foundation of a criminal empire built by Alphonse "Scarface" Capone.

T.C. Aficionado
fresh meat

Post by T.C. Aficionado » November 7th, 2015, 11:31 am

Race Traitors

Race Traitors portrays the thrilling and compelling exploits of two African American police detectives assigned to Chicago's Gang Intelligence Unit-two men who witness the apocalyptic suffering of a community and its residents. Bound by their oath to protect life and property, these detectives are committed to their pledge to protect and serve. In an attempt to deal with the physical and psychological stress of their job, they battle those who have sworn to destroy their community. Entrenched in the struggle to overcome the gang's hold on the community, they are forced to become players in the growing reality of human anguish on Chicago's streets-the urban warfare that pits race, culture, and dedication to duty in a triangle of conflict. Detective Aristotle Ashford, a veteran detective, shares his hatred of gang violence and his love of the department and the city with his rookie partner, Myles Sivad, creating an exciting and emotional journey of detective drama and suspense. Race Traitors is a graphic examination of their experiences while combating street gang violence and murder in Chicago's Woodlawn Community during the 1970's.

T.C. Aficionado
fresh meat

Post by T.C. Aficionado » February 12th, 2016, 6:41 pm

Gangland Chicago: Criminality and Lawlessness in the Windy City

Richard C. Lindberg

This engrossing tale of gangs and organized criminality begins in the frontier saloons situated in the marshy flats of Chicago, the future world class city of Mid-continent. Gangland Chicago recounts the era of parlor gambling, commercialized vice districts continuing through the bloody Prohibition bootlegging wars; failed reform movements; the rise of post-World War II juvenile criminal gangs and the saga of the Blackstone Rangers in a chaotic, racially divided city. , Gang violence and street crime is endemic in contemporary Chicago. There is much more to the saga of crime, politics, and armed violence than Al Capone and John Dillinger. Gangland Chicago explores the changing patterns of criminal behavior, politics, gangs, youth crime and the failures of reform in its historic totality.

Richard Lindberg takes the reader on a journey through decades of a troubled past to delve deep into the evolution of street gangs and organized violence endemic in Chicago. Small ethnic gangs organized in ethnic slum districts of the city expanded into the well-known organized crime syndicates of Chicago’s history. Gangland Chicago is full of stories of unchecked violence, lawlessness, and mayhem. Unlike other standard true crime accounts focused exclusively on the Prohibition era, this historical look-back probes the obscure and forgotten dark corners of city crime history. Lindberg details how both “organized” and “dis-organized” street gangs have paralyzed city neighborhoods and transformed the crimes of the Windy City from street thuggery and common ruffians protected and nurtured by politicians into a protected class is gripping.

Gangland Chicago is a revealing look at the Chicago underworld of yesterday and today. This comprehensive volume is sure to entertain and inform any reader interested in the evolution of organized crime and gangs in America’s most representative city of the American Heartland.

Khmonymous
prince
prince

Post by Khmonymous » February 12th, 2016, 9:57 pm

HughRefner420 wrote:My bloody life was Sorry that nigga got butt fucked by his cousin :cmon: